Saturday, August 12, 2017

I Out Ran Myself!

Thursday August 10, 2017
Tonight I ran in the 16th annual Hilliard 5k Run/Walk Nite Classic which benefited the boys' and girls' cross country teams at Davidson H.S.
This was my first time running the race so I had no idea what to expect, and it's probably just as well. If I had known what the course was going to be, and the caliber of the runners, I might have backed out.
It wasn't long after the starter pistol was fired (no one does that anymore, but it sounds more official) that I was left in the dust of far superior runners - some older, some younger. That would have been enough to make the teenage Cindy soon give up from exhaustion (and probably cry out of self pity) trying to keep up with the pack. However, the middle aged Cindy remembered the fable about the tortoise and the hare, and knew that Fr. Bob was thinking about me and that my sister's neighbor, Jamie (whose son, RJ, a member of the Hilliard boys' cross country team, was also in the race) was rooting for me, so that helped give me the strength to keep on running.
I did end up passing some people, but was still at the back of the pack for most of the race. Unlike most other races I had some pretty stiff competition (including an 8 year old girl and a man pushing a twin stroller) and there were also fewer competitors (only 183 runners), so I had my work cut out for me. At the end of the day I decided not to worry about any of them and only concern myself with finishing. It was only a bonus that I achieved my own personal best of 37:53:4. I was also happy to finish before sunset and to avoid getting too many mosquito bites.
I'm glad I was able to contribute to the cross country teams, but next year I think I'll stick to attending the athletic clubs' annual flea market/yard sale. It's a lot less strenuous and a lot more fun (though there's certainly not that feeling of accomplishment afterwards).  

Have a good weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment