Sunday, June 24, 2018

New Hilliard branch library open!

This weekend I was privileged enough to visit the new Hilliard branch library not once but twice (the first time alone; the second time with my husband, Andrew). The 63,000 square foot building is part of the Hickory Chase Way apartment complex which has been through troubled times financially, which is how Hilliard City Council scored such a good deal on the building (which I think was going to be the recreation center for the complex), $800K.

As Andrew and I are “friends of the library,” we were invited to the grand opening on Wednesday, but were sadly unable to attend due to prior commitments. Since I had already RSVP’d before our plans were made, I asked my sister if she wanted to attend in our place. No sense wasting the privilege (free food & drink were included along with the entertainment). My sister took me up on my offer and said she had a great time.

The library is light years ahead in design as compared to my childhood library, Mackenzie Memorial Library in Madison. Saying that, Mackenzie did pass a levy since I graduated and moved away, so I know they’ve undertaken quite a few renovations. I’m sure it probably looks nothing like I remember. Sadly I haven’t prioritized stopping in over the last 20 years, so I should probably add that to my list of things to do when I am back home visiting my parents, etc.


In my almost 20 years of marriage I’ve been lucky enough to visit some libraries both here in the US and overseas. As much as I love Europe, hands down the best libraries can be found here stateside (perhaps because they’re better funded?). Probably the most impressive is the one we toured (led by a guide) in Seattle. I believe it even had a yellow escalator, so points for originality and cheerfulness in choosing the color scheme.
Here’s what I wrote, “Since we still had a little time before we had to pick up our rental car, we decided to walk over and check out the state-of-the-art library, which is now about five years old. According to an article in the Seattle Times, Mayor Greg Nickels said that “Seattle residents check out more books per capita than people in any other city. More important, at least to some: Patrons could bring drinks inside as long as they had a lid.”

"Is that a Seattle library or what?" Nickels said. "Never again will Seattleites be parted from their lattes."

Although we were a bit late, they still let us join the architecture tour that had started about 20 minutes before we arrived. Our volunteer guide was very interesting and informative and a very personable young man who reminded us a lot of one of Andy’s former co-workers in England.”

Then there was the tiny, but charming library we visited in Conway New Hampshire.  Here’s what I wrote, “the library itself was really charming with interesting details in the woodwork and pretty stained glass windows in many of the rooms, as well as a large fireplace in one of them.


I could definitely see spending a whole day sitting in the sunshine at a table (or one of their comfy chairs) while working on a research paper or just catching up on some reading. Size wise it’s at least as big as Hilliard’s library, and is two stories tall. There’s definitely something to be said for small town libraries.”

This was the competition Hilliard was up against, but it’s definitely a contender as I was absolutely blown away. Andrew and I had feared it might be a little cold and impersonal, much like an airport lounge (and pretty much the way the main library downtown was redesigned), but the architects seem to have done a good job creating intimate seating areas where small groups can meet, but individuals can also spread out if so desiring. 


Like airports and a lot of public spaces, the furniture is all equipped with outlets to keep your electronics charged while visiting. Let’s face it. Probably half the people who visit will be bringing laptops and pretty much everyone will have a cell phone with them.


One of my favorite amenities the library has in common with many of the newer branches (and the main one downtown), is a café. Hurrah! We can enjoy an adult beverage (the wakey wakey kind, not the mellow sleepy one usually partaken after 5pm) along with an indulgent pastry
while perusing the free publications (Columbus Alive, The Free Press, Parents Weekly, etc.) and books for sale. I bought a sticker endorsing the new café (The Public Perk), and can’t wait to get it on a t-shirt (which they assured me they’ll be making more of since the first batch sold out.


I also love the solarium (though that’s not what it’s called on the map), which is like a large Florida room situated on the south side of the building that is all glass and patio-like seating, though the room is fully enclosed. I could see spending a lot of time sitting there, which is the next best thing to actually being outside. Andrew and I sat there while enjoying our coffee drinks and a blueberry scone. It would be a nice place for a book group to meet.


In case you can’t tell, I am really enthusiastic about this new addition to Hilliard, which makes me proud to be a resident (especially as it always feels like Hilliard is the lesser sibling to its rich neighbors, Dublin (whose new branch won’t open until 2019) and Upper Arlington (old money; has at least 3 branch libraries in the city limits).

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the Grandview Public Library, which, though not as big, is every bit as charming and has lots of good community programs (which hopefully Hilliard will soon have as well). I volunteered there from November until February where I worked in the (basement) Young Adult section pulling reserves and shelving as well. Although it was hard on my knees, I enjoyed every minute and am only sorry I had to give it up when I got my job at Humana.

Anyway, if you need to find me you know where to look. I’ve joked that I am having my mail forwarded there as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment