Sunday, August 19, 2018

Coffee House Chit Chat...


What am I Reading?

I am currently reading two books simultaneously (alternating chapters nightly): The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin and Dogs of Humana (a compilation of dog stories by various Humana employees).

After listening to Gretchen’s podcast, “Happier with Gretchen Rubin” for the last several years and having her book, The Happiness Project sitting on my shelf for at least that long too, I thought it was finally time to bring it down and dust if off. So far I am enjoying it and have been highlighting various anecdotes and advice here and there. Each chapter is a month relating Gretchen’s experiences when she first started her happiness project.

I came across a short article about Dogs of Humana on Humana’s internal website back in February when I first started. Since the book was rather inexpensive ($4 for the Kindle version), and I’m a dog lover, I bought it but hadn’t started reading it until now. Although the book could do with some more editing (for grammar and stupidity in my former coworker’s words), the sentiment is there and it’s nice that so many employees were willing to share a slice of their personal life with the public at large.

What am I Listening to?

I still listen to Gretchen’s podcast, “Happier with Gretchen Rubin” as well as her sister, Liz’ podcast called, “Happier in Hollywood.” This is how I learn the terminology and inner workings of the TV industry from Liz, a writer and producer working in Hollywood (currently on the Disney lot in the office rumored to formerly belong to the big cheese himself, Walt).

I’ve also dipped in and out of “GrownUpLand” and “Desert Island Discs,” both BBC Radio 4 podcasts.

What am I Watching? (all on Netflix)


I’m still watching “Orange is the New Black” (season 3 now I think), “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee,” (with Jerry Seinfeld and a different guest every episode), “The Great British Bake-off” (almost the semi-finals!), “Somebody Feed Phil” (season 2 I think), “Extraordinary Homes” (hosted by Piers Taylor and Caroline Quentin, both of the BBC),* and “Amazing Interiors.” Of course not all in one sitting (rather, on rotation). I also still enjoy “The Gilmore Girls,” but have been taking a hiatus from it since the Fourth of July (more down to lack of time than anything else). 



*https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/93464121/new-zealand-properties-star-in-british-tv-series-about-extraordinary-homes

No comments:

Post a Comment