Sunday, May 5, 2019

Kentucky Derby Hat


Earlier this week I had the pleasure of attending a social outing that was a craft class mixed with food and drink and the company of a nice group of ladies. The class was called “Derby Day Hat Crafting and Cocktails” and was offered by the city of Upper Arlington Parks & Recreation Dept, and was held at our local Chocolate CafĂ© (where I last attended a foodie class in October).
Eight of us gathered, and under the expert advice of Eliese Kendrick, we each selected different flowers, ribbon, and perhaps a feather or two to decorate our straw hats with the ultimate purpose of designing a hat worthy of wearing to a Kentucky Derby party.

The group of eight included the mother of a 13 year-old ‘who will probably forbid me from wearing this outside the house’ she said.
There was also a lady celebrating her 60th birthday who was shortly going on a Mediterranean cruise in what is part of a year-long birthday celebration. I told her I was hoping to do something similar when I turn 50 next year.

Although I had no Derby day plans, I thought it would be fun to attend (working at home means I am anxious to get out of the house whenever possible), and come home with something that can be both worn and displayed. Also, you had me at ‘Mint Juleps and sweets provided.’
I was pleased to discover that the Mint, in Mint Juleps is simply a mint leaf added as a decorative flourish. The recipe of Julep we were treated to was a pineapple-based one, which was very refreshing and certainly a nice accompaniment to the pieces of whipped cream topped pecan pie we were treated to.
Cheers!

For starters, we had to choose between a regular size or a wide-brimmed hat (I selected the regular size), then most of us removed the bow which was gently glued to the black ribbon attached to the hat. Some removed the black ribbon as well, but I liked it, and thought it would go well with the sunflower I selected as my accent piece. I also chose some daisies, and it was recommended (by Eliese) to add some greenery and a bit of lace as well.

Arranging it was the fun part, but gluing it all down, not so much, but necessary all the same. Still, I got it all done in the designated hour and a half time slot we were given, and was pretty happy with the results. It was certainly a change from the usual baseball cap or wooly winter hat I am used to wearing.
Did I wear the hat while watching the Derby? Yes, absolutely, though if the weather had cooperated I might have also worn my floral dress with it, but it was cold and wet, so settled for my favorite spring sweater instead.

And what an interesting Derby it was….




No comments:

Post a Comment