Sunday, September 29, 2019

Natural Expressions: A Student Curated Exhibition


Yesterday afternoon my husband and I drove to downtown Columbus to see the Natural Expressions, Student Curated Exhibition that was on at the Riffe Gallery (near the statehouse). My artist friend, Amy had told me about it (she may have also helped install the art; I can’t remember). As usual, her recommendation was spot-on and we’re both glad we visited.

One thing that was nice was the fact that so many of the artists are from Northeast Ohio, and one (Taryn McMahon) is even an assistant professor at Kent State University (my alma mater).

The art was a mixture of sculpture, prints, and one piece that would be difficult to classify:
These were our favorite set of prints:
Artist is Jolene Powell

This one was my favorite, if for no other reason the novelty value:
Heavy on my House by Roscoe Wilson
Andrew said he thought it was interesting that the same artist (Char Norman) had several pieces here
(the installation is made of bark and homemade paper)
as well as at the Dublin Arts Council, which we visited earlier in the week at the opening of their new exhibit.
Next on our agenda is the Ann Hamilton, Jenny Holzer & Maya Lin exhibit at the Wexner Center (on display until 12/29).

No comments:

Post a Comment