Saturday, November 2, 2019

Speakmon Memorial Regatta Oct. 26-27, 2019

I recently crossed another item off my Bucket List, which was to attend a Regatta down at the Scioto River. Because we live so close to the river (approx. 3 miles), it seemed like something we should do,  and I’ve always been curious (and still am as the whole day was a bit of a mystery to me).
Funnily enough, I hadn’t exactly planned on doing it this weekend, but last night the entire girls’ rowing team from Magnificat, an all-girls Catholic school in Cleveland, attended 5:30pm mass at my church. I had no clue they were even a rowing team as none of their clothing gave that away (though one or two of the girls might have been wearing a rowing hoodie). It was only after chatting with their coach after mass that I was filled in on events. Apparently the girls had done pretty well on day one (which is pretty lucky considering it was cold, wet, and dreary all day) and were looking forward to continued success on day two (Sunday). Their coach told me the Sunday schedule started at about 7:30am wrapping up by 3:30pm and invited me to come out and watch the races. I told him I might since that was something I’ve always wanted to do anyway.

When I got home from church I filled in my husband on the plan, and he seemed happy enough to accompany me, so he started looking up info on the internet (no. 1 priority, where do you park?). Though we only live a few miles from the river, there’s no sidewalk or path and you have to cross a couple busy roads, so driving there is still the better option.

Sunday morning was another dreary looking day (though dry at least), so we decided to have brunch and get a few things done first before heading over at about half past eleven. The internet said parking was at the local disc golf course on Riverside Drive, so we headed over there (passing dozens of closer places we probably could have parked, and maybe will next year if we attend again). Though there was a shuttle from the parking lot, we ended up walking from the parking lot (I definitely burned off all those syrupy pancakes I had just eaten!).

As it was around noon, there wasn’t much rowing activity on the river as it appeared to be between races with lots of people standing around – some in line at one of the food trucks;
others in line to use one of the many porta-potties,
while a few stood around chatting or used the time to walk their dogs.
We walked up and down the river and learned there was still quite a wait until the next race. We briefly contemplated buying a hot beverage, but we both declined not wishing to then have to miss any action while waiting in line at the porta-potties.
I suggested we check out the folly* that was recently built near one of the pavilions. The front of the folly faces the road and appears to be a stage, which made us wonder if it has been used for any small performances (you could easily set up chairs or a few bleachers on the hillside in front of it). Somehow I doubt that’s the case, but there’s certainly future potential there.
*a costly ornamental building with no practical purpose, especially a tower or mock-Gothic ruin built in a large garden or park.

As it got closer to race time we wandered back to where we had been standing and found a good vantage spot to see the rowers as they headed back towards the finish line, which was the OSU Boat House, according to what the Magnificat coach told me.
Not really understanding the logistics of the races, I assumed we might see several dozen boats staggered across the width of the river with lots of shouts of “Row! Row! Row!” while loyal fans cheered them on. Instead, we only saw a couple boats at a time and they were pretty close to the western bank of the river, so we had to rely on our telephoto lenses to get the best view of the action. Note to self: If we attend again, perhaps park elsewhere and find somewhere to stand on the other side (though all the activity and amenities are on the eastern bank).

I also think if we do decide to attend next year, we make more of an effort to acquire more information on when the races are, and how it all works. Quite honestly, just watching two boats race to the finish, not knowing any of the rowers, wasn’t all that exciting.
We did learn that the rowers launch their boats from the eastern bank, then have to row a mile or so the starting point, so there’s quite a distance between the start and finish – a bit like a parade route.

I told my husband Andrew that the whole experience might have been more interesting had we known any of the rowers, or been privy to a story or two about whom the underdogs were and why we should cheer for this team or that team.

It was certainly an interesting experience and it was fun being around such an enthusiastic crowd. The autumn color was pretty, though certainly more picturesque once the sun came out toward the end. Plus, it was nice to get out of the house and attend an event we had never before been to. All in all, a nice day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment