Saturday, December 7, 2019

Two Feel-Good Movie Reviews

“A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood”

Like many of you, I took some time off of shopping on Black Friday and went to the cinema to check out the new Mister Rogers movie. Perhaps some of you saw the trailer like I did, but I was still clueless about the whole premise of the movie figuring perhaps it would be like another biography (the one on PBS last year was excellent, by the way), but it’s definitely not about Mister Rogers. If anything, it’s more of a glimpse into the life of the Esquire journalist who was assigned to write a short piece about Rogers for their hero edition, and the effect our beloved childhood celebrity had on him and his family.
Without giving too much away, I would like to warn viewers (like I wish someone had given me a heads up) that it’s definitely a tear-jerker and a 3-hanky movie, so come prepared! If you can watch it without welling up at least once, then you’re either a guy (though I imagine there may have been a few in the audience who were moved by the film) or someone with a much stronger emotional threshold than me.

In spite of emotions running high, there are a few moments where I felt myself smiling and maybe even chuckling a little bit, like when Andrea (the journalist’s wife) answers the phone late one night (guess who was calling? : ) and says, “Mr. Rogers knows my name!”
I can definitely recommend this movie, and it certainly makes an excellent accompaniment to the biography special (which may be available on dvd now).

 “Last Christmas”

If you’re a fan of all things British, Christmas, or George Michael, then you won’t be disappointed as this film is a generous mix of all three, with an unexpected twist thrown in. You can hardly ask for more in a film. Plus, it stars Emilia Clarke (of “Game of Thrones” fame) and Henry Golding (of “Crazy Rich Asians” fame). In addition, the film was partly written and produced by Emma Thompson, who also plays the mother of Catarina (Emilia Clarke).
In a nutshell, Catarina is a 20-something slag (a bit of British slang that could be used to describe Catarina’s promiscuity) and aspiring singer working at a Christmas themed-shop in Covent Garden (hence, the elf costume she wears throughout the film). Her family is what one might call dysfunctional, which partly explains Catarina’s rebellious behavior. Without giving too much away, I can tell you the film has a happy ending, so you’ll feel good when you leave the cinema.
My husband and I saw an interview with Emilia Clarke where she told the interviewer that they filmed all the night scenes in the wee hours of the morning when the streets of London would be the quietest (though they still had to deal with a few drunken revelers apparently). If she looks like she’s cold in many of the scenes, that’s not acting, that’s reality as it can get pretty cold in Britain (even if they were filming in the summer). I bet she’s glad a fur coat was part of her wardrobe.

I can definitely recommend this movie as well for all the reasons I listed above. If nothing else, it will definitely get you in the Christmas spirit.

What movie to see next? Hopefully “Frozen 2.” Stay tuned…..

No comments:

Post a Comment