Sunday, February 23, 2020

Two Cultural Experiences in Columbus

This month my husband and I have expanded our cultural horizons a bit and attended a couple events we’ve never yet been to here in Columbus – the ballet and a performance by the Columbus Jazz Orchestra.

Best as I can recall, the only other two times I’ve ever attended a ballet (other than my niece’s recital when she was little) was “The Nutcracker” and “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” – both way back when.
I happened to be flipping through the February issue of City Scene magazine which has on its cover a photo from the current (ballet) production of “Alice in Wonderland,” and mentioned to my husband that that might be interesting. He agreed, and said if I wanted to see it he’d be happy to go too. As we had no plans for Valentine’s Day we bought a pair of tickets for the evening performance.
  
Having not attended a ballet in a long time I had no idea of what to expect. I was surprised by how many tall people were in the audience, very likely dancers themselves, but wasn’t surprised by how many children (mostly girls) were also in attendance (especially as many of the performers attended the Columbus City Ballet School).
Before the performance we strolled around and checked out the many exhibits in the lobby including old doors to dressing rooms that had been signed over the years by many a celebratory including artists, athletes and even a famous coach or two (Woody Hayes ring a bell anyone?). I guess that’s how you know you’ve arrived when you’re asked to sign a door, a wall, a menu, or whatever.
There was also a backdrop and props where you could pose as if you were a character in “Alice in Wonderland.” We saw both kids and adults doing this.

I loved the clever design of the scenery such as tiny doors when Alice grew big and a large door projected onto a drop down screen for when Alice shrunk again. I had rather wondered how they were going to do that since you can’t literally make a human grown or shrink (they also used a silhouette projection on a screen).
Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum were quite amusing and rode a bicycle built for two around the stage in some of the scenes. They were definitely the comic relief and performed in perfect symmetrical motions.
Most recently we attended a performance of the Columbus Jazz Orchestra. As we’re both fans of jazz and listen to Jazz Sunday on WCBE (radio) every weekend, we thought we would probably enjoy seeing the music performed live, and we definitely weren’t disappointed.
The theme of the evening was Modern Romance featuring Canadian musician, Bria Skonberg who was truly fabulous and it was a no brainer to purchase her CD down in the lobby during the interval.
I enjoyed how Bria explained the story behind each song and even recited some of the lyrics (since most were just played without the words). Probably the most interesting was a song originally titled, “The Barnyard Stomp,” which was slowed down and lyrics added to the melody. It evolved so much I doubt it bears much resemblance to its original version.

There were a variety of songs from musicians I had heard of: Leonard Cohen, Henry Mancini and Cole Porter, and several from artists I was less familiar with: Johnny Mercer, Hoagie Carmichael and Randy Weston, to name a few.

The director of the jazz orchestra said the great thing about jazz music is it gives you hope and helps clear away the dust of everyday trials and tribulations. I definitely agree and left in a much better mood having attended. I can’t wait to attend another performance in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment