Sunday, July 5, 2020

ROAD TRIP: WYOMING TREK 1983


Last week I mentioned that I had never gone away to camp, but I did, however, have a very memorable two week experience traveling cross country to what was essentially a sleepaway camp. 

When I was 13 my Girl Scout troop #123 held several fund raisers so we could raise enough money to travel out to Wyoming to a sleepy little town called Ten Sleep where there was a Girl Scout camp we wanted to attend (there may or may not have been a jamboree?). 

I don’t remember most of the fundraisers, but one that does stick in my mind is making chocolate candy to sell at Easter. I remember painting the molds with one color chocolate, then melting milk, dark, and white chocolate disks to pour into the molds. Anyone who knows me knows chocolate is my favorite sweet, so I definitely enjoyed this activity. 

Eventually we raised enough money to fund our trip, so we packed up the two campers/caravans being driven by husband (parent) volunteers, Mr. McIntosh and Mr. Cross. Mrs. McIntosh was our leader, being accompanied by Pam Hunt, our assistant leader. According to the journal I kept, there were 11 of us girls who were split between the two vehicles, occasionally switching back and forth I imagine.

In order to make it out there in plenty of time for the jamboree, there were often long days on the road (when it’s much preferable to be a passenger and not the driver!), and sometimes part of the night. I remember spending more than one evening sleeping at a truck stop.  I also remember the lack of air conditioning (not that I had that at home either) making sleeping more than a little difficult.

To pass the time some of us read and then shared our books. I remember one of the books being passed around was a V. C. Andrews book, and another was possibly a vampire story (?), though that was long before the Twilight series came along. According to a June 25, 1983 journal entry, “So far I’ve read three books. I’m starting a fourth.” (this was only 3 days into the journey)

I remember being slightly annoyed by the less than gentle treatment of my books by my fellow scouts. “You’re bending the cover back! You’ll break the spine!” Yeah, I was a pretty whiny teenager. This is also why I’m not in the habit of loaning out books today.

It seems like the most fun activity along the way, besides visiting numerous tourist sites (more about in a minute), was evenings spent at RV parks where we had access to a pool. Even better if there were boys there! My first journal entry says, “We met this nice man, Gordon E. and a cute kid, Danny. Robyn and friends tried to dunk him. If you ask me, I think he enjoyed it.” We were at that perfect age where boys were starting to become interesting, at least some of the time. Other times, maybe not so much.
July 8, 1983: “Today at the pool there were 5 boys who were very immature. They got everybody wet, and they dunked Natalie, splashed and spit on everyone, threw my tong (flip-flop), pushed Cathy in, and used vulgar language.” (oh my!)
Apparently we arrived in Wyoming after five days on the road and two time changes. “We saw the Rocky Mountains with snow on them.” (see photos above). I think that was probably my first time seeing snow out of season, so I was utterly fascinated by that. As a prank, the husbands spelled out (using rocks) the name and phone # (minus the area code) of their secretary, Carol.
Ten Sleep was an American Indian rest stop, so called because it was 10 days' travel, or “10 sleeps,” from Fort Laramie (southeast).

The Girl Scout National Center West was located just outside Ten Sleep, Wyoming, among the Big Horn Mountains,[1] near the entrance to Ten Sleep Canyon.[2] A portion of the center was one of the largest encampments in the world at 15,400 acres (62 km2) (14,600 acres (59 km2) also reported) of rugged wilderness near the entrance to Ten Sleep Canyon near the Bighorn National Forest.[3][4] 640 acres (2.6 km2) of those acres were donated by the United States government.[5]

The single largest land acquisition in Girl Scouts of the USA history, the center was purchased in 1968. Girl Scouts and Girl Guides from all over the world engaged in outdoor activities including horseback riding, backpacking, fishing, orienteering, exploring Native American pictographs and study of geology.

Because of high maintenance costs, the center was closed in 1989; the land was sold in 1991.

In my journal entry from our day of arrival, I wrote that I got a letter from grandpa and grandma. In it was this:
(this eventually came in handy, but more about that later…)

Tues. June 28, 1983
“I took Coil Basketry and Sand painting. It was hot! I had fun! I also took sunset inspirations drawing, writing, taking pictures.”

June 29, 1983
"I took Write About It. It was at 9:30 at the Big A. It was an Interest project where you had to write something. I got it completed and my sunset poem and picture is going to be published in the staff’s newspaper and mailed to me. Mandy’s is too.

I also took Singing Bubbles where you sang while we were making soap.

I also made a ring in Indian beading."

I definitely remember the sunset activity and was excited when they told me about publishing it (I never heard back about this). 
June 30, 1983
Apparently we had a big storm. Being at a higher altitude as I seem to recall, storms seemed somewhat scarier, though that might have had more to do with the fact that we were on top of a cliff of sorts. 

"About 12:00p.m. it started raining and the wind was blowing real strong! 2 tents fell down. One of our stakes fell out. We were real scared! We all held hands, slept close together and prayed. Our tent couldn't have blown away:

1. Heavy stuff to hold it down.
2. storm lash (the knot we tied our tent down with) 

Mrs. M & Mrs. H slept with us after their stay in the latrine." (LOL!)

On July 1st I wrote that I took paper making. I remember using toilet paper and various bits of sage and wildflowers or whatever.

Then on July 2nd I had another first – my first time in a darkroom. “I’m going to the darkroom at 4:00. It was really fun! We developed our own pictures." (I listed the process below):

1    Developer
2    Finisher (vinegar)
3    Silver remover

I think one of my fellow campers might have accidentally come into the dark room when the red light was on, but I still got a decent print. It was of a man rigged to a climbing line I believe.

It’s possible I might still have the photograph, sunset drawing, and paper sample somewhere, but I couldn’t summon the time or energy to look for them.

The postcard I wrote: 
I don’t remember the jamboree, or if there even was one, but we had a swap party with a bunch of other troops. Before we left for our trip we were instructed to make something we could hand out to the other girls (which in exchange they would give me something they made). Of course there were a few girls who either couldn’t be bothered (or couldn’t get parent support) and simply gave away free promotional items like pens, keychains, etc. Of course at 13 years old I didn’t care, and happily accepted anything I was handed without question or judgement.

Other memories…

We made this: (It’s possible it was made in the oven in one the campers, that or we did it over a campfire either?)
Thanks to all the adults who made this trip happen and thanks to my fellow campers for making it such an enjoyable and memorable experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment