Monday, November 9, 2020

Tribute to Alex Trebek


As I’m sure you’ve all heard, the infamous game show host and the face of television trivia passed away earlier today. I am referring to Alex Trebek, the long-time host of CBS’ award-winning “Jeopardy.” 

“Jeopardy” premiered (technically a revival) in 1984 and I sometimes watched it with my family after dinner and after “Wheel of Fortune” (it still airs afterwards on the Cleveland affiliate, whereas here in Columbus it’s on first).

I’ve watched it on and off throughout the years mostly tuning in during the months with dark evenings as it seems as good a way to pass the time as any. It’s fun to watch with my husband who is more than a worthy opponent and often puts me to shame (unless maybe it’s American history questions).

I especially enjoyed the special tournament they had earlier this year where they invited back former big winners from past years. Although we may have missed a few episodes, we tried to tune in for most of them. Of course we favored some over others (Ken Jennings over Mr. Vegas). The level of difficulty of those questions tested the depths of our knowledge and we were most definitely out of our league (I can usually just about keep up during teen week or college week). 

Back in 2009 my husband and I spent a week in Washington D.C. partying with the Obamas (ah, good times…) and attended the Cherry Blossom Festival. Three guesses who the parade grand marshal was. Yep, the man himself. That was definitely the highlight of the parade (and it was worth shivering in the cold waiting for his appearance).

Like millions of others, I tuned in tonight for old time’s sake and to pay my respects, as well as to enjoy a little healthy competition with my husband. It was an enjoyable half hour, and I will definitely be saddened after the last episode (34 more have been recorded) airs later this year. It will truly be the end of an era.

Rest in peace Alex. You will be greatly missed. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment