Sunday, August 23, 2015

Movie themed weekend



Friday August 21, 2015
Tonight we went to the Gateway Film Center (right in the heart of The OSU campus in the middle of student move-in wknd) to see the animated movie based on Kahlil Gibran’s book of poetry essays called “The Prophet.” Even though neither of us are familiar with his work, we both thought it was a film worth seeing – me because of the beautiful artistry in how the poems were illustrated throughout the film. Andrew was familiar with it because someone from his church youth group used to quote from it. We both thought it was an excellent film. Andrew described it as a mixture of poetry and slapstick. I found some similarities to "Fantasia" in style. I absolutely loved the beautiful way each of his poems were illustrated, and you can see in the credits each segment was directed by a different person.
Sunday August 23, 2015
Today we went to breakfast and a flick at our local Movie Tavern. I had always wanted to go to one of these events, but was always afraid it would be heaving with children (especially as the 9am selection is usually geared towards them). We had nothing to worry about as it was only us and one other family (one of which I am pretty sure was still in her pajamas). There are only three things on their breakfast menu that we’ll eat since neither of us are fans of omelets, so Andrew ordered the stack of 5 pancakes and I ordered a Belgian waffle and a plate of French Toast. Initially I just ordered a waffle, but it was kind of small, so I called back our waitress and ordered the French toast which was a far more reasonable portion of three pieces. I cleaned my plates, but took home my chocolate milk (it was that or a Mimosa, but I didn’t fancy it this morning). No need to worry about all that sugar and carbs going straight to my hips as I ran a mile and a bit after I got home.
“Shaun the Sheep” was also an excellent film and I found myself laughing out loud quite a lot. It made me a little homesick for England, especially when they were back at the farm, but also a little bit when they were in “the big city.” When we were watching the credits I whispered to Andrew, “Can you imagine what it must have been like casting the voices for this movie? ‘Let’s hear your best sheep noise!’” I loved the soundtrack which included the song, “Feels like Summer” by Nick Hodgson. You can watch a clip from the movie featuring the song on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAKCpoLhMME I would definitely see the movie again and may or may not put it on my Christmas Wish List.
 
P.S. My mouse melon plant (now a crazy out-of-control vine) now has some little mouse melons on it. I picked one, but haven't tried it yet. I heard they're good in salads, so perhaps I'll add one to a salad for lunch or dinner sometime.

 
Have a good week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment