Sunday, July 10, 2016

Fun in the Sun...

Friday July 8, 2016
Today was the first day of the annual Arthritis Foundation Classic Auto Show & Cruise In held in the Metro Place loop where I am employed. Since we have to put up with traffic restrictions (we have to travel counterclockwise around the circle for the duration of the show), they give us free parking passes and wristbands to attend the show. Even though it’s usually hot and humid every year, I figure, ‘why not?’ and walk the approx. 100 yards to where the show is held.

I would be lying if I said food wasn’t one of the reasons to attend. Even though there’s only about a dozen or so food vendors, they’re all classics like Schmidt’s (if you like German food), Papa John’s, Moe’s Barbecue, Bubba’s Shaved Ice, etc. I went straight for my favorite, which was Weldon’s Ice Cream. I decided to be greedy and order a double scoop cone. Someone should have explained the laws of gravity to the young girl who made my cone because the two scoops were just barely balanced on top of the tiny cone. It wasn’t five minutes before I took my second lick and the whole thing ended up on the ground. 

I was quick to scoop it up and walked back over the booth and asked for a bowl (and spoon). They probably would have given me a replacement cone if I asked, but I was happy enough to have a receptacle to eat my rapidly melting ice cream. Needless to say by the time I got back to work my face and hands were all sticky, as was my hair because it kept blowing in my face. I was only too happy to duck into the bathroom and clean myself up before returning to my desk. That’s put me off ice cream for a little while.

One of the highlights of the show this year was the ‘Model T Wicker Car.’ According to the festival write-up:

“The Basket Case was covered in wicker by hand in Menominee, Michigan, when the Model T was new (1924). Menominee is the home of Lloyd Flanders, which was Lloyd Manufacturing when the car was new. Lloyd manufacturing made wicker furniture, baby buggies, etc., and was the origin of Lloyd Loom, a method to make an artificial wicker for furniture.
The wicker has only been cleaned and painted. I am repairing one section of wicker that was damaged by the stress of people stepping on the entry running board, as 1924 Model T Roadsters only have doors on the passenger side.
This Model T has been in Jake’s family since at least 1935; they have a signed title in the name of John Pinkowski, who was his mother's uncle, Jake’s great-uncle. He has pictures of John and his wife in the Model T, with luggage on the running board. John was apparently not literate, as the title bears "his mark", witnessed.
Jake’s great-uncle had one son, and when he died in 1991, his mother and his aunt were the only surviving relatives, so his mom chose the car. His dad, Jacob J. Kluch, worked on the Model T to get it ready for some shows. He "freshened" the paint, mostly with a "shaker can" and a brush. He had the bumpers and headlight rims re-chromed, put a new roof on it, and four new tires. Other than that, the car was original. He was thrilled to be invited to the Old Car Festival in Greenfield Village in 1992, and they attended several times before he passed away in 1997.
When they were preparing for the Ford 100th anniversary, the engine was damaged. They were then invited to represent 1924 at the 100th anniversary, and the anniversary committee said they should even bring it if it was not running, as they would provide whatever support that was necessary to get it in place and then back in the trailer. However, they got it patched up, good enough to get to and from the show. Jake had the engine rebuilt then, along with the transmission. Everything is original condition.”

Aside from a station wagon I once saw covered in corks, this was definitely one of the most unusual cars I’ve ever seen. I’m glad I went over and checked it out.

This car was also one of my favorites:

In the evening my sister, Karen, and I attended Hilliard Arts Council’s annual summer musical called “Urinetown.” The plot revolves around the fact that because of a drought, people were forbidden from using their own home toilets. Instead, they had to ‘pay to pee’ to use a public toilet. 

As you might imagine, chaos ensues when the people rebel against this outrageous new law. Suffice it to say, by the end of the play there’s a ‘change in management,’ and at least one likeable character meets his demise, but it’s still a funny, decent play. I can only credit the outstanding musical talent of the cast which was definitely on par with an off Broadway production.

Saturday July 9, 2016
This morning we were up early to run a 5K charity race (aren’t they all?) to benefit the Dublin Arts Council, of which we’re both patrons from time to time (and are eager to see their latest ‘Last Words’ exhibit). D’Art, the large ginger tabby and resident cat of the Arts Center was on hand to lend his support and actually take part in the race (while being pushed in a little zip-up tent on wheels). I don’t know his official run time, but Andrew and I definitely finished well in front of him and his human runner.
D'Art wanting everyone to leave him alone

me with one of the race sponsors
We figured perhaps a couple hundred people would participate. The actual number was about half that, but it was still a decent turnout, and I’m sure the Dublin Arts Council made a nice little profit.

The race took place at the trail that runs behind the Dublin Recreation Center through a residential housing development and in and out of a somewhat wooded area; hence, quite a lot of shade. With the 77 degree temperature and low humidity, it really wasn’t too bad. That’s not to say I wasn’t shattered afterwards, but I survived. Andrew and I managed to cross the finish line together again, though, for some reason, my time was a tenth of a second faster than his (through no extra effort of my own I can assure you).

My race statistics:

Click here to see a video of Andrew and I crossing the finish line:

Our unofficial race photo:
 Andrew just after he got home from the race:
Okay, so I am one of the youngest in my age group, I’m still quite happy with my results and Andrew said both our paces have improved since the Four Mile race we ran in November. At this point I don’t plan on running any more 5Ks until perhaps sometime in the autumn.  I definitely plan to run the Road Runner 5K next spring. I’d like to do at least one 5K in each season. Winter might be difficult, but looking forward to the challenge.

Have a good week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment