Friday, January 6, 2017

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!


Friday January 7, 2017

Sorry it's been so long since I've made a blog entry. Like most of you I suspect, I was pretty busy over the holidays. In addition, I also had to work through part of it, so I wasn't just at home for the last two weeks. I am now back at work and slowly settling back into the daily routine. 

Among other things I did when I was off was see movies. My sister, niece, nephew and I saw "Sing" last Friday and thought it was pretty good, though I wouldn't have minded if it was a bit shorter. For those unfamiliar with the plot, Buster Moon (a koala bear) owns an old theatre which is hemorrhaging money. To raise money to pay his creditors (i.e., loan sharks), he comes up with the brilliant idea to hold a singing contest where the winner goes home with $1000, only, due to a rather unfortunate typo, the amount on the flyers ends up reading $100,000. As expected, contestants line up around the block. Their try-outs were rather enjoyable, and much preferable to watching their human brethren (I'm not a fan of "American Idol" et al). Eventually the list is whittled down to a few solid acts, and we spend the rest of the movie getting to know these characters. The performance scenes at the end were definitely the stand-out moments of this film and left me wanting more.

On New Year's Eve my husband and I went to see "Rogue One," the newest "Star Wars" prequel. Although I thought the fight scenes were better in this film, I kind of almost preferred last year's JJ Abrams adaptation, if only because it had more familiar faces in it. We do get a glimpse of R2D2 and C3PO and another surprise face from the past (at the end), but otherwise it's mostly a new cast of characters. I also had a hard time taking Darth Vader seriously after seeing James Earl Jones on "Big Bang Theory," not to mention that Volkswagen commercial with the little boy pretending to be Darth Vader. That's just me though (trying to suppress giggles). Still, it's a decent enough film and you don't need to have seen the others to enjoy it. Also, don't try to keep track of the characters and the timeline. It's all a bit confusing and really unnecessary. Just take each film on its own merit.




No comments:

Post a Comment