Monday, July 17, 2017

Two Movies and a Play...

Monday July 17, 2017
 
Last week was a busy week on the entertainment front. I saw two movies and one play.
Since our power was still out on Tuesday I suggested we go see the new "Spiderman Homecoming" film at the Dublin Village 18 cinema (the one with the comfy recliners). Having seen Tom Holland interviewed on the "Graham Norton" show I had already seen a clip from the film (and heard a good story about how he prepped for the role).
It's interesting to see one of our favorite superheroes as a teenager eagerly anticipating more chances to show off his super hero skills as well as the usual amount of teenage angst. I also love that Robert Downey Jr, aka "Iron Man" played such a crucial role in the film as did Jon Favreau who played his personal assistant. I can definitely recommend this film for anyone who likes the Avengers, Spiderman, or just a good old fashioned action and adventure movie.
The next movie we saw was "Baby Driver," which came out around the same time as "Spiderman." This movie is all about the soundtrack. The character of Baby (you'll find out his real name towards the end of the film) has Tinnitus (as do I) and listens to music almost non-stop to compensate for it, so we rarely see him without his earbuds in or sunglasses on (and he carries spares of those). He's a driver for a bank heist planner, Kevin Spacey, whose Mercedes Benz Baby once stole, and henceforth has been working to pay off his debt. Even after he was square, of course he wasn't quite finished. Like in the Godfather movies, "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."
My husband and I both enjoyed it and liked the soundtrack (which was synced to the action). My niece and I compared it to "Pulp Fiction," without the witty banter and dance scene (and no OD scenes either). Funnily enough, for a movie that's somewhat targeted towards millenials, it's rated R (for all the violence). Those who can't attend with someone over 17 will have to wait for it to come out on dvd or be streamable elsewhere.
I ended the weekend by attending a production of "Guys & Dolls" which was produced by the Hilliard Arts Council and held at one of the local middle schools. It was an excellent production with high quality performances by all. You can tell everyone takes their job seriously when you see how it all comes together. My only complaint, which is pretty much the case with every production, is that sometimes the orchestra drowns out the actor(s) singing. This time it was likely caused by there not being an orchestra pit, so close proximity definitely plays a part. Also, had I known it was going to be a three hour performance (the program said two) and that there were wooden seats, I might have grabbed a cushion to sit on. We were all grateful for the intermission after two hours of the play were over.
My reason for wanting to see the play, besides simply supporting the arts, is because I was in "Guys and Dolls" back in high school (my junior year). I was one of the bobbysoxers and had to borrow penny loafers from a classmate. I was a little surprised at how many of the songs I remembered and even (quietly) sang along at times. I walked out humming the songs relieving happier days.
All in all a pretty action packed week. We have a couple movie possibilities at the Ohio Theatre this weekend as well as "Despicable Me 3" on the agenda at some point.
Have a great week everyone!

1 comment:

  1. "Happier days"? Sounds like a great week Cindy. Sometimes we need something like a power outage to give us a push to get out :)

    ReplyDelete