Tuesday, January 2, 2018

My Favorite Christmas Presents 2017




Hello everyone! I’m back. It was a really nice 10 day break being away from working two jobs and my volunteer work, but now it’s back to the regular grind of things.

Did everyone make it on to Santa’s Nice List? I must have because he was very good to me this year. I am very grateful for every gift I received, but there are a few that stand out and deserve a shout out.


At the top of my list is a Viewmaster and a wooden box full of assorted reels given to me by my parents. As soon as I opened it my mom related the story behind it. Earlier in the summer we (my parents, husband, and I) were all at a flea market/yard sale of sorts being held in the grounds between my old high school and city library. While browsing I noticed the Viewmaster and box of reels and contemplated buying them since the price ($15) was so reasonable. [I have a vintage Viewmaster made out of Bakelite I like to use.] My husband suggested I look around a bit first and then maybe come back for it later (typical, he hates it when I spend $$ at these things), so I reluctantly walked away. As you have already guessed, the item was gone when I went back. Though I was a little disappointed, I figured it wasn’t meant to be, so I didn’t mourn the loss too much and picked up a couple other small (inexpensive) treasures and got reacquainted with an old schoolmate.

I was definitely surprised and touched by the thoughtful gesture. Turns out all three of them (my parents and husband) were in on the surprise. Thank you! I can’t wait to sort through the box of reels and see what vintage surprises lies among them.


My second favorite present is a homemade gift from my 11 year-old nephew, Carter. I stopped over at my sister’s house on the day before we left for vacation so I could drop off presents for her, my parents, and my uncle. In turn, she had a present for me (a mug with a packet of powder to make a cake in a mug – yummy!) as did my nephew. He made me a candy sleigh topped with a chocolate Santa. He must have remembered that I have a sweet tooth, so the gift is much appreciated and I promise to eat it later after I’m done admiring it for the fine craftsmanship.


I would be remiss if I didn’t also recognize the thoughtful gifts my husband gave me – a box of Double Dark Meltaways chocolates from one of my favorite local coffee shops, and a beautiful sterling silver heart necklace from the local Irish imports store in downtown Dublin. I’ve already eaten one of the chocolates and worn the necklace several times and truly love it and the gesture behind it.

Thanks one and all for everything and know that each one of you mean as much (more!) to me as any present wrapped under the tree.

Happy 2018!


No comments:

Post a Comment