Sunday, September 9, 2018

Vintage Market Day, Hilliard, Autumn Edition


As you may recall, I attended my first Vintage Market Day back in the spring on a lovely sunny day. Unfortunately the weather wasn’t quite so good this time around when my sister and I attended together. It seemed the April showers held off until September and came back with a vengeance. In fact, the Old Hilliardfest Street Fair that was scheduled for Saturday was canceled due to impending rain. Luckily the Vintage Market Day is held rain or shine as some vendors are indoors and some outdoors (in covered tents).

I felt sorry for the outside vendors as we quickly skimmed just a few booths before heading inside the main building where it was dry and warm. For those not familiar with the concept of Vintage Market Day, it’s basically a flea market containing pickers and antique collectors selling their wares. If you like shabby chic, seasonal décor, or just antiques of various kinds, then this is the market for you.

Because it’s nearly autumn (technically not until September 21st), that theme was reflected in the home décor for sale with nearly every vendor selling pumpkins or some other autumnal item. It was the (homemade) pumpkins that attracted me.
The pumpkins came in a myriad of sizes, colors, and materials (and prices). I bought five that I intend to decorate our living room mantel with. I also bought a pretty ceramic multi-colored one that I haven’t yet decided where to place.

The cutest and most practical item I bought was a pencil sharpener shaped like an old-timey phone. 
It’s difficult to even tell that it’s a pencil sharpener, but the vendor removed the lid to show me its insides and where to insert the pencil.

The only other item I bought was a poster designed to look like an advertisement for an antique camera, though my husband and I doubt this camera actually exists. Still, it was pretty inexpensive and I found the perfect place to hang it (on my closet door), and was glad to get it home without it getting wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment