Sunday, September 30, 2018

Short Films & Segway Tour

Friday night my husband Andrew and I drove to the Gateway Film Center to see the nine finalists in the annual Manhattan Shorts Film Festival. As I had picked up a flier a couple weekends ago I had had a chance to preview the films on paper. It’s funny how just reading a description of a movie and then actually seeing the movie sometimes leaves you with two different impressions. The ones I thought I would like didn’t thrill me as much once I actually saw them. Also, to the judges’ credit, I’m glad they try to choose an assortment of themes so they’re not all comedies or tragedies, though, quite honestly, most are rather dramatic, but that’s probably the nature of the beast when making a short film or writing a short story. I’m really more of a fan of the comedies, but can appreciate the amount of emotion and depth that goes into the more serious stories (this year it was domestic violence, rape, and death).

Gold star to all the movie goers who attended on opening night. I’ve rarely seen a theatre so full, and though I honestly prefer more intimate screenings, it was nice to see the public supporting independent films.

Also, for the first time ever, Andrew and I actually chose the same film for our Best Movie choice, that being an 18 minute Austrian film called “Lacrimosa.” The movie was beautifully done and you could tell the filmmakers put a lot of technical work into it, not to mention all the under-water scenes.

An honorable mention should also go to “Fire in Cardboard City.” It was super cute and funny and I loved the unpredictable ending! Though I doubt very much it will win the big prize, I’m glad it made it into the top nine, so that’s saying something.

Sunday morning Andrew and I did something we’ve never done before and probably would never do if we hadn’t had a gift voucher for it, which was to do a Segway Tour of Columbus. As long-time (14 years now) residents of Columbus, there’s very few parts of Columbus we’re not already familiar with, and we’ve already done a walking tour of downtown Columbus, so today was all about trying out a Segway for the first time.

We were one of the few who had never before ridden one, so we were kind of Segway virgins. I’m forever grateful that our instructor, David, took the time to make sure we got acclimated and comfortable with it before taking us out onto the sidewalks of Columbus. Yes, Segways are allowed on both streets and sidewalks.

I have to admit I had my reservations, feeling like the biggest hypocrite after poking fun at others I’ve seen on them. Yes, you do look silly, and it made me feel like the laziest American. However, having injured (a stress fracture) my left foot on vacation and not being allowed to run or do excessive walking at the moment, riding a Segway felt somewhat justified.

I agree with Andrew that it does feel a bit like ice skating in that however you shift your weight is how you will move on the ice, or in this case, the Segway. Once you get the hang of it, it’s really not that difficult.
You just need to be aware of what’s going on around you and make sure you allow enough stopping distance so you don’t run into whoever is in front of you.

Sunday morning is a good time to be out since it’s not that busy with traffic. Also, some of the roads were closed for a walk for Pancreatic Cancer, so we had to make sure not to run into any of the walkers in purple t-shirts. We were blessed with a gorgeous day weather-wise – sunny and not too hot first thing (temps in the 60s).

As far as where we went – we pretty much covered all the landmarks (the Statehouse, City Hall, the Ohio Theatre, etc.), Goodale Park, the Short North, saw the American Gothic & Mona Lisa murals, the Sells Mansion, etc.

FYI, there’s also a river side Segway Tour that bears some resemblance to our tour, but I believe you spend a bit more time down by the Scioto River. Also, David told us he’s going to do a December tour where he’ll take people out at night and you listen to Christmas music while he takes you around the streets of Columbus. That might be fun…


So, would I recommend the Segway tour? Absolutely! Riding a Segway makes you feel like a kid again. It’s the funnest thing I’ve done in a long time (see, I told you it makes you feel like a kid and sound like a kid too). I kind of wish I owned one, or that everyone owned one and that’s how we got around on nice weather days (though no one will get anywhere in a hurry since top speed is only 12 miles an hour).

Click here to see more photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/authorwannabe/with/44455569631/

Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment