Sunday, October 21, 2018

Movies & a Tea Party

October has been a busy month for my husband and I – so busy that I haven’t had much time to sit down and reflect on it all and share my experiences with you all.

We started out the month by taking part in the annual Hitchcocktober film festival at the Gateway Film Center. The first movie scheduled was the showing of a 35mm print of “Rope,” one of the lesser shown Hitchcock films apparently, which is why we decided to go see it because it’s one of the few we haven’t seen.


Though the trailer is a bit cheesy, the movie itself is both sad and a little suspenseful at times. The plot involves two ivy-league preppies who murder their classmate as some sort of a philosophical exercise. Throughout the film one wonders if any of the party guests will accidentally stumble upon the body hidden in the large (coffin-like) storage box, on top of which a chicken dinner buffet is placed.
The boys thought it would be daring to hold a dinner party where the guest of honor is hidden away while his parents and friends ate dinner near his cooling body. Jimmy Stewart, playing the wise professor is the only one who figures things out and blows the whistle on the boys. Not a cheerful film, but certainly one of Hitchcock’s best efforts.


We more recently saw the Neil Armstrong biopic, “First Man” which stars Ryan Gosling and Claire Foy. My husband and I had seen an interview with Gosling before seeing the film. If we weren’t sold beforehand, we definitely were after the interview and got a nice sneak preview. Although it’s a good film, it’s a bit lengthy as the movie covers almost a decade of the build up to the success of the Apollo 11 after many fatal and failed attempts (to successfully penetrate outer space and land on the moon).
For those of us who weren’t yet born then, it’s certainly an interesting and educational look at the space program. It kind of makes me want to visit the Neil Armstrong museum (in Wapakoneta, Armstrong’s hometown in NW Ohio). I will be very surprised if this movie doesn’t take home at least one Oscar next spring at the Academy Awards.

Although the Brits will drink tea at any time, the cooler weather is definitely an incentive to add that to the autumn repertoire of beverages, which may be why we have an autumn tea party every October at St. Brendan’s (where I am a parishioner). This was the third year for the party, and my second year volunteering (though all I really did this year was make and buy scones* and bring my teapot and cups).


* I made apple raisin cinnamon scones and bought some pumpkin flavored ones (after all, what’s a tea party without scones?)

my neighbor, Martha Warren, telling the story of her tea cup
The lady in charge of the tea party, Donna Olenhouse, started a tradition of women (and any younger females in attendance) sharing stories of the tea cup they brought. Many collected them on travels or received it as a gift and may or may not be part of a collection. Though I’m more of a mug collector, I have admired many a pretty tea cup online or at a tea party (see below)
or in a restaurant. If space were no object I would perhaps expand my collection, but for now our cupboard is bursting with our mug and wine glass collection. I am also proud to say I finished my first complete cup of tea (as opposed to previously taking a few sips and then dumping the rest). It was spiced apple Chai - not too bad, but I'd still rather just drink hot apple cider.


Next Blog Post read all about the trio of classes my friend, Ann and I took in Upper Arlington.

Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment