Saturday, December 1, 2018

Support the Salvation Army!

I just wanted to share something I posted this week on the Buzz site we have where I work:

Hello everyone! I don't know about where you are, but it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas here, and of course along with Christmas comes charitable giving (in fact, yesterday was Giving Tuesday). As someone who has been involved with the Salvation Army (along with my family), I can tell you that not only do they like to receive donations, but a smile and a kind word goes a long way too. Maybe offer to buy them a hot cocoa or cup of coffee? I did that today and the bell ringer was so flattered she immediately hugged me. That's what the holidays are all about. Happy Holidays everyone!

                                                         ************************* 

Okay, so it might be pushing it a bit to say I was "involved," when in actual reality I have only been a bell ringer twice, whereas my father is the treasurer at his local branch, so his contribution is certainly greater than mine has been. As rewarding as it was being a bell ringer, I find it just as gratifying to be the one making the donation as most of the volunteers are so nice in spite of sometimes being in less than hospitable conditions (standing outside in the cold for hours). I even bought one a candy bar once, which was happily accepted. Whether you volunteer to be a bell ringer or just make donations (it's handy to have lots of dollar bills ready at this time of year), be sure to spread good cheer.




No comments:

Post a Comment