Monday, June 22, 2015

Monday June 22, 2015
Last week I saw two movies and have two more listed on the agenda for this week. On Tuesday I saw what is likely to be Studio Ghibli's last movie, "When Marnie was There."
As a fan of anime and especially Studio Ghibli films, I can tell you this is another hit, and hopefully success story for the studio. The plot revolves around a young girl (Anna) sent to spend the summer with a family friend - partly for health reasons (she has asthma) and partly to cheer up (she's a bit of a sad loner).

At first Anna pretty much keeps to herself preferring to spend the days on the beach sketching an old mansion on the other side of the cove. Things change once Anna meets Marnie, a mysterious blond girl around her age who seems to live in the mansion she is sketching. Only, some of the time the mansion is dark and forlorn looking, and other times it's lit up and you can hear music coming from its eves. Marnie also seems to come and go with no explanation.

All is made clear near the end of the film, which, like most Studio Ghibli films, leaves the audience wiping away tears of both sadness and happiness.

Personally, there are Studio Ghibli films I've liked better, and there are certainly some I haven't liked as much as this one. All in all, I would give it an 8 or possibly a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10 (best).

Friday June 19, 2015
Tonight after dinner I used a Groupon I had for frozen yogurt from Bad Frog Frozen Yogurt in Dublin. We've been there perhaps a couple times before and it's my nephew, Rhys' favorite froyo place (which is why I bought him a Groupon as well as one for us). My husband was less than impressed by the only dozen or so flavors of yogurt on tap, which included both a sugar free and fat free option. Looking on the bright side, it takes less time to make up your mind that way. At the end of the day you know you're going to put over a dozen different toppings on it anyway rendering your decision moot since you'll no longer be able to distinguish flavors, or maybe that's just me.

Since it was still early and there was enough light, we decided to walk off some of that creamy goodness by getting on the trail to Indian Run Falls. At first we seemed to have it all to ourselves, but as we got closer to the end, perhaps 8 or 10 people passed us. Because of all the rain we've had lately the falls were positively gushing and we both whipped out our cell phones to photograph it.

We ended up coming out by the little post office on Shawan Falls Drive that I go to when I am at work. We looked in the window of one of the little log cabins that sit near the exit of the trail. Not sure what purpose the cabins serve, but it looks like one of them may be used for camping as I saw the remnants of a ire in the middle of the great room in the larger of the two cabins.

Saturday June 20, 2015
Tonight my husband and I went to see "Jurassic World." Having seen two mediocre sequels already, I went in with pretty low expectations. After all, what is one to think when the critics suggest you root for the dinosaurs? (you do though!) The movie starts off a bit slow with character development no one really cares about, at least according to my husband.

For those nostalgic about the original film from 1993, there are bits and pieces of memorabilia throughout the film, from the "Jurassic Park" t-shirt being worn by one of the employees to a piece of the old welcome sign which gets used on a torch. Then there's the old jeep depot where new life is breathed into a couple of the old relics.

Generally there's too much action to feel nostalgic for too long. Rest assured that, as per the Hollywood rule, the baddies get their comeuppance, as do lots of other innocent park goers (and the poor overworked British assistant to the movie heroine).

I loved the subtle little nuances like the character Gray looking at dinosaurs in his view-master before leaving for the park, the product placement of Starbucks and Pandora (for the unforgettable moments), etc.

All in all, a bit predictable, but a much better film than I expected, and one I will quite happily watch again - in perhaps 10 years (like I just did with the sequels on dvd).

Up next...

"Spy" and "Inside Out."

No comments:

Post a Comment