Monday, October 2, 2017

new Fall TV Season



It’s that time of year again – the fall TV season when old favorites return and new programs try to capture a share of the audience.

I used to buy TV Guide and get on the internet and look up info on all the new shows and what was in the cards for my returning favorites. After having a busy winter & spring where I was out so many evenings (and I’m not one for binge watching programs), it literally took me all summer to catch up on my recorded programs (better late than never I guess). Hence, I decided it might be a good idea to not add any more (or at least not many) new programs to my already full dvr.

I did, however, make an exception for two newcomers: “The Good Doctor” & “Young Sheldon” and one old favorite back by popular demand, “Will & Grace.”

“The Good Doctor” (ABC):  According to ABC, “Freddie Highmore plays Shaun Murphy, a young surgeon with autism and savant syndrome, relocates from a quiet country life to join a prestigious hospital's surgical unit. Alone in the world and unable to personally connect with those around him, Shaun uses his extraordinary medical gifts to save lives and challenge the skepticism of his colleagues.”

The pilot was just riveting enough to hold my interest and had just the right balance of sentimentality to not play with our heart strings too much. It goes without saying that you have to suspend belief in order to buy into the whole premise, and there are one or two minor plot points I have to pick at. First of all, no one asks to see credentials when Shaun is at the airport and about to operate on a young boy covered in glass shrapnel from a fallen sign. But later no one will let him in to the hospital, and Shaun never once tells anyone who he is (that could be down to the autism though). Also, Shaun meticulously sterilizes the wound and all the tools, except for the knife (unless that was done off camera).

I plan to stay tuned for now, but not sure I hold out high hopes for this show after the failure (last year) of a similar show about a young, revolutionary doctor with a rare disease that opened a hospital for all the patients science gave up on, called “Pure Genius.” (CBS)

Since I love “Big Bang Theory,” of course I was going to tune in to “Young Sheldon,” as I imagine a high percentage of other fans did the same. It’s a pretty simple premise, young Sheldon is a genius who doesn’t have the social skills or a filter between his brain and his mouth to know how to properly communicate with people. This is often a problem for the more grown up Sheldon in “Big Bang Theory” too, but thanks to help from his former roommate, Leonard, and his new fiancée, Amy, he’s learning.

Depending on the quality of the writing and my time and patience, I plan to stay tuned for now, but I wasn’t blown away by the pilot, as much as I wanted to be (perhaps my expectations were too high).

I eagerly awaited the return of “Will & Grace” (NBC) and I can honestly say they haven’t lost their touch. The writing is still stellar, the acting spot on, and the whole package just a joy to take in. Though I’m not really a fan of our choice of President, if we can attribute his taking office to the reason for “Will & Grace” returning to the airwaves, then thank you very much DT. However, I don’t think one had anything to do with the other, but DT provided much fodder for a very witty first episode.

Loved the bit when Grace was trying to match a swatch to DT’s hair and pulls out a bag of Cheetos. “Yep, close enough!” (holding up a Cheeto to the swatch).

Part of me is really happy the show is back (though only in a limited run), but another part of me feels like wasn’t 8 years enough? (apparently not). Either way, I will stay tuned and try to be grateful for this brief resurrection. Can’t wait for the “Roseanne” reboot next year.

I love this excerpt from Slate, “…So the best Trump joke of the pilot is not the hat, nor is it the Cheetos bit, or the impeachment reference. It’s the red-hot burn of the idea that Trump has so lowered the significance of the Oval Office, has so utterly deflated our expectations for what takes place in that room, has so thoroughly diminished any anticipation of respect or awe, that an utterly normal, irreverent episode of Will & Grace could be set there. It’s not that there’s no dissonance whatsoever; there’s absolutely an “I can’t believe they’re doing this” element to the entire plot, and to all the scenes set at the White House. But that disbelief doesn’t come out of shock that they’re disrespecting the solemnity of the office. It comes out of the dissonance of hearing that oh-so-familiar patter once again, set against a backdrop of gold curtains and a curved wall. It comes out of how ordinary it all feels, and how ultimately fluffy.”

Also loved this bit from Slate, “The jokes that land best are the ones that use Trump as a lens to make fun of our fearless foursome, like when Karen tells Grace that Melania asked if Grace was pretty and she replied, “She’s no threat.” Or when Karen was in the Oval Office and asked the waiter to fill up her martini glass. “Don’t give me the Laura Bush pour. I want the full Pat Nixon.” The cheapest shots are things like Trump having a Russian-to-English dictionary on his desk or having the complexion of Cheetos — two jokes that are so stale that, if they were crackers, not even a starving pigeon would eat them off the street.”


Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment