Monday, October 23, 2017

The Mays in the Maze of Maize….



Saturday October 21, 2017 
Saturday afternoon I attended the second annual B.R.E.A.D. (Bake, Reconnect, Educate, make Art, celebrate Diversity) Festival held in downtown Dublin. Like last year, they lucked out with really nice weather – sunshine with temperatures in the high 70s (which certainly brought out the bees everyone kept swatting at).

Although I hadn’t necessarily planned on spending the whole afternoon there, I figured I would take my time to walk around and check out all the booths at a leisurely pace. My first order of business was grabbing some lunch. I considered buying one of the many bread products for lunch, but the lure of the food trucks was too strong so I ended up buying a bowl of noodles from the Mixing Bowl Asian Grill.com. [Next year I think I’ll stick to just trying just a few free samples and perhaps buy one of the bread products.] In spite of sucking down a sizeable bowl of noodles, I bought an iced mocha and a couple small chocolates from my favorite downtown coffee shop, Winan’s. I just hope I burned off a few calories while walking around.


The SWACO (Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio) table was near the food trucks, so I stopped over to say hello to the employee working there (a vegan named Alex) and picked up a couple sheets with the recycling arrows on them to color in. I also grabbed a couple free pins that said, “Bring me Back – Return or Reuse your Bags.” Alex told me that envelopes, even the ones with wax windows, can be put in your recycling bin completely intact. I told her I always take the time to cut out the wax windows as I was taught back in college. I’m glad she told me. That will certainly save me a bit of time, and my husband will no longer need to put them in the trash as he’s been doing.

From what I could gather, there were at least half a dozen countries strongly represented. Japan had an origami booth
and a tea ceremony booth; the German booth was handing out samples of meat & cheese;
the Ukranian booth was coloring Pysanky eggs;
Henna tattoos were being given at the India booth; the Polish booth had tasty samples of Babka and Paczki; Irish music was being played at the Ireland booth
(didn’t see any soda bread samples though); almost bought some Turkish coffee from the TASO (Turkish American Society of Ohio) booth.

Although I told Andrew I wouldn’t buy any bread since we already have a freezer full of various kinds, I couldn’t resist the budget friendly bargains. Among other things, I bought a peanut butter roll,
a cheese roll,
a Tomato, Basil & Garlic loaf,
and a chocolate pudding dessert (not bread, but really tasty!). My non-bread purchases included a rainbow colored beaded bracelet and a Christmas ornament.

As I was standing around watching the Richens/Timms Irish dancers (they’re pretty big here in Dublin) a lady came over and said hello and we started chatting. I just assumed I knew her from St. Brendan’s since that’s where I know most people. Her name was Sue Ellen and she’s actually one of the volunteers at UALC (Upper Arlington Lutheran Church)/SON Ministries (Serving Our Neighbors) whom I had met on Thursday. I told Sue Ellen I’ve definitely heard more Irish music here (living so close to Dublin) than the two times I’ve actually been to (the Republic of) Ireland and Northern Ireland. We had a nice chat, but as it was getting late I remembered that I needed to get home since Andrew and I were attending his Leading Edje Fall Fest at Little Darby Creek farm (where I had been a couple weekends ago).

The MAYS in the MAZE of MAIZE….


In spite of me running a bit late, we arrived in plenty of time as the fire (for roasting hot dogs) had only just got started. Unfortunately I was still a bit full from lunch, so I watched as Andrew and the others ate, but then decided to grab some dinner so I wouldn’t be hungry later.



Since our passes included some free shots with the corn cannon, we each had a go with that. Andrew used his token to try the pumpkin cannon, but I saved mine to get a pumpkin to take home.


Of course Andrew wanted to have a go at the maze, so we each chose a passport. He chose the Corny questions, while I selected the Scriptural one. If you go in as a pair (which I would recommend), it’s a good idea to select two different passports so you can compare questions & answers. Overall, I think my scriptural questions were a lot easier than his corn trivia. Although it was more fun going around with my mom and sister, I definitely made better time going around with Andrew. I think it’s because he’s so methodical - when the passport said to go left, he made sure to make every left turn until we got to another passport stop. I think we made it out in around 45 minutes, compared to the well over an hour it took my mom, sister and I.


Andrew wasn’t too bothered to feed the goats, pet the bunnies, or throw the baseballs through the holes, and we certainly didn’t want to wait in the mile long line for the haunted hayride, so we left shortly thereafter. I kind of wish marshmallow roasting had been on the agenda, but since this was a family event (and so many things for kids to do), the communal dinner in the pavilion was about it. At least we spent just over an hour, just about making the half hour drive there worth it.


Sunday October 22, 2017

LOVING VINCENT...

On Sunday we went to the Gateway Film Center to see what has been described as “the world’s first fully painted feature film” called “Loving Vincent.” http://lovingvincent.com/

According to the description of the film, “The man was carrying nothing; his hands clasped to a fresh bullet wound leaking blood from his belly. This was Vincent van Gogh, then a little known artist; now the most famous artist in the world. His tragic death has long been known, what has remained a mystery is how and why he came to be shot. Loving Vincent tells that story.”


The movie definitely lives up to its description as a painting in motion. Both Andrew and I agreed we had never seen anything quite like it and both of us were more than a little impressed (and perhaps a little depressed due to the melancholy plot line) with the whole technique. Andrew said at times it felt like a bit of a whodunit. I agree. I also think the plot was a bit slow moving at times. Even though the movie was only an hour and a half long, it felt a bit longer. I love the end where they showed pictures of the actors as they were painted into the film all while the song “Starry, Starry Night” played in the background. Overall, it’s an excellent film, but just know that it’s certainly not a cheerful plot line. I read that in one showing over in Europe it got a standing ovation.

No comments:

Post a Comment